Educating the candidates
As we approach Election Day on November 8th and prepare for the start of the legislative session on January 11, 2017, it is critical that we contact candidates vying for office. The presidential election is not the only thing on the ballot; all of our state representatives, state senators and many city and county officials are up for election this year. We need to be sure candidates understand what Home & Community-Based Services are, the impact they have on people receiving services and working in their area, and why a rate increase can’t wait.
What can you do to make a difference?
- Share Messages and Your Story:Our goal is to educate candidates about the important work we do throughout Minnesota and the critical need for a rate increase to support quality Home & Community-Based Services in 2017. Contact candidates with these messages and share why services matter to you.
- Attend Candidate Forums: We are partnering with several coalition members to host candidate forums across the state this fall. Your help is needed to drive attendance! Join us to share stories with candidates about the workforce shortage, what it means to people served, and how it affects DSPs/caregivers and families.
Please attend one or more of the following candidate forums. Create a plan to make sure that people served, staff, and family members from your organization are there and ready to speak out.
- ROSEVILLE – Monday, October 3, 6-8 p.m.
2180 North Hamline Ave
Roseville, MN 55113
Co-Hosts: ARRM, Best Life Alliance, REM Ramsey, Northeast Residence, Living Well Disability Services
- MANKATO – Tuesday, October 4, 5-7 p.m.
Blue Earth County Library
100 E. Main St.
Mankato, MN 56001
Co-Hosts: ARRM, Best Life Alliance, MBW Company, Harry Meyering Center, Habilitative Services
- ST. CLOUD – Thursday, October 6, 6-8 p.m.
St. Cloud Public Library- Mississippi Room
1300 W. St. Germain St
St. Cloud, MN 56301
Co-Hosts: ARRM, Best Life Alliance, Mary T. Inc, WACOSA
- COON RAPIDS – Tuesday, October 11, 6-8 p.m.
Mary T. Inc- Margaret Place Senior Apartments
1555 118th Lane NW
Coon Rapids, MN 55448
Co- Hosts: ARRM, Best Life Alliance, Mary T. Inc, Opportunity Partners
- ROCHESTER – Monday, October 17, 6-8 p.m.
Zumbro Lutheran Church- Kairos Room
624 3rd Ave SW
Rochester, MN 55902
Co-Hosts: ARRM, Best Life Alliance, Cardinal of MN, Hiawatha Homes
- MINNETONKA – Tuesday, October 18, 6-8 p.m.
Congressional District 3
Opportunity Partners- Koch Campus
5500 Opportunity Court
Minnetonka, MN 55343
Co-Hosts: ARRM, Arc MN, Arc GTC, MOHR, Opportunity Partners, Mary T. Inc, Bethesda, Fraser, Reach for Resources, Mains’l, Hammer
- Get to Know Your Candidates: Find out where the candidates in your area stand on issues that matter to you. See how your candidates responded to ARRM’s 2016 MN House and Senate Candidate Questionnaire and check back later as additional responses will be added as they are received.
- Use Your Voice- Vote!: View our new 2016 Election & Voting Information, for general election information, tips on where and how to vote, how provider staff can support people served in voting and other frequently asked questions.
- Stay Connected: Follow the Best Life Alliance through future email updates, on the webpage, and via social media (see links below). Then spread the word to fellow advocates to help us build our statewide coalition- we are stronger together!
Thanks to the Best Life Alliance for this article!