This week we wanted to share a time-honored recipe. Bone broth has been a staple in numerous cultures throughout history, known as a tasty and nutritious supplement. The New York Times describes its recent rediscovery, including the health benefits of calming the stomach and nervous system. Additionally, the Weston A. Price Foundation has analyzed how bone broth reduces inflammation and increases dopamine. Even if it didn’t have these benefits, bone broth is a warm and delicious treat worth trying!
All of these excellent benefits are right at your fingertips, because bone broth is incredibly easy to brew! All you need to do is put some bones and flavorings in a slow cooker, and leave it to work its magic!
- Fill your Instant Pot/slow cooker halfway to the top with bones (chicken and beef bones are the two most common)
- Add 1 onion
- 2 carrot sticks
- 2 celery sticks
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Any of the following herbs: rosemary, sage, thyme
- Start the Instant Pot on low pressure for a maximum of 2 hours.
- When the first cycle is done, cook for another 2 hours on low pressure
- Strain all the solids out and discard them
- This makes approximately 4 quarts of delicious and nutritious broth! I store mine in mason jars and freeze half to save for later
- *Note: when freezing in a mason jar, only fill to the shoulder of the jar, to prevent the jar from cracking when frozen.
Bone broth has a range of unique benefits, and it’s incredibly easy to cook in your kitchen, so pour yourself a cup and share the warmth!